Friday, January 1, 2010

Long day

Well today was quite an adventure! David had the day off, so we decided to walk all over San Diego--literally! We must have walked for 5 or 6 hours! I wanted to practice using my camera as I have a big moment coming up in a couple of weeks. Anyway, onto the day....

It started with us finding a ripe monster fruit!! I have never eaten one before, yet have wanted to try one for 7 years now! Ever since I read up on them while working at the plant nursery, I've been set on finding a ripe one. If you pick them too soon, they won't ripen properly. Here is what they look like:



When ripe the inside looks like this:


The fruit smelled like a very sweet pineapple and the taste was a cross between a pineapple, banana and coconut! I say coconut because there was a slight nutty taste to it. It was delicious!

.
.
.
.
We then went to the suspension bridge.

We parked next to the most beautiful door when we got there!


Instead of walking across the 100 ft. high bridge (which we've done numerous times before) we hiked below it.


It was actually quite dull below. I think it will be better in the spring once there's been more rainfall and everything is green and lush. I kind liked this shot though. I need to work on my layering more though:


We then went to Palm Canyon in Balboa.


Looks like eyes




I was working on my close-ups, which this camera lacks on achieving. I need to invest in another lens that specializes in close-ups.


This was strange. At one point I came face to face with a hawk! I've never seen one this close before! Naturally I was having issues with my camera so I was unable to get a crisp shot.... >:(






Okay, we then headed downtown!

I love the tree planters around there!


And there are so many beautiful, rustic buildings. You can get a real sense of the history down there.


I liked the staghorns above this building:


We came across what looked like a Chinatown! I had no clue one even existed downtown!




We then walked to Little Italy (my town since I'm Sicillian!)


All of the corners were filled with flowers and fruit trees. Very nice


The electric boxes are painted EVERYWHERE in San Diego!






David found a cool mode on my camera that made everything light and sepia toned!






Souless statues?




And that was pretty much it.  Hope you all had a great New Years and I hope that '10 is the beginning of a happy and prosperous decade!

No comments:

Post a Comment